Thursday, September 24, 2009

Why Die (just because it rhymes..)

Nor dread nor hope attend
A dying animal;
A man awaits his end
Dreading and hoping all;
Many times he died,
Many times rose again.
A great man in his pride
Confronting murderous men
Casts derision upon
Suppression of breath;
He knows death to the bone-
Man has created death.


-Death by W.B Yeats

“I am ready to die. I await the end of all. In the silence of the moon or the bright of day. I could die right here and right now. I am idle, waiting to be taken. Not because I have sailed every sea. Nor have I saw every land. I am ready for I have reached the pinnacle. I touched my glazing peak.”


What is more meaningful? What is more profound? What is more valuable? Something that is only a one-time experience, a glimpse of existence with a distinct beginning and end, that is meant to occur once and only once, and when its time comes will abruptly halt and cease; or something that repeats itself over and over again, to and fro, an eternal set reoccurrences with no end or start?

What if after I die there won’t be anything. There will be a lot of nothingness. But I won’t be aware of all that. I’ll be lying happy six feet under. Or actually I won’t be happy. I’ll be nothing. I won’t be anything. I won’t be. Perhaps I’ll be remembered, but what would I care?

Maybe I’ll go into absolute bliss. It’s impossible to conceive this concept. When we live, we evaluate and value things upon negation. Something is good because the other is bad. A moral or emotional value can only be acquired in comparison to something that isn’t. That is the binary, the opposite or the negative. So when I die, I won’t have any sadness. Any sorrow, frustration, envy or anger. I won’t be happy, as in the opposite of sad. Some might see this situation as a logarithmic graph of joy. I’ll be joyful more and more every following moment, up to infinity. Like an everlasting orgasm. But this concept still has an implicit relativity in it. I can only feel joy if I know what lacking joy feels like. So a state of bliss can’t be a status of universal knowledge, but of absolute ignorance.


_____________



After writing these last two posts I’ve reached a stunning conclusion. These issues are too profound and abstract for me to make a meaning out of and in the process interest anyone. I apologize if it sounds like bullshit; it definitely isn’t meant to be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment