Saturday, September 12, 2009

The Great Wheel

I live my life here and now, sailing the seas and traveling throughout the world. I observe many different things; I converse with many people and befriend some of them; I see, hear, learn, and live my life as it comes. Above all, I make choices. I constantly make choices. About everything, even the smallest of small.

Now consider this- all this lifetime that I’m active within, all the things I exercise, will reoccur. Their appearance will return on itself in the same exact way. A hundred percent match. It will not only repeat itself once, but many times. In fact, it will reoccur eternally. And already has. Birth-hour and death-hour are not merely two ends of a lifeline, but two marks on an endless circle. Our time is not linear. It is cyclical.

What this implies, is that the actions I take, the choices I make, are eternal. They shall repeat themselves forever and ever, enhancing their effect each and every time. Quite a heavy load for an ordinary pirate.

Does this mean my decisions are meaningless? That they are predetermined? Quite the contrary. The implication of every single choice is multiplied endlessly. I must be sure above all doubts that what I choose satisfies me. Otherwise my mistake will grow and grow to infinity. Only the certainty of accepting my decisions as absolutely right, will offer the true affirmation of life.

"Well, we’re all in the cosmic movie, you know that! That means the day you die, you gotta watch your whole life recurring eternally forever, in CinemaScope, 3-D. So you better have some good incidents happenin’ in there... and a fitting climax" – Jim Morrison

*Thanks to Friedrich Nietzsche and Milan Kundera for their kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment