Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Atonement?

This week was a special week for Jews all around the world. It started last weekend with the celebration of the new year that has just begun, and ended with Yom Kippur, the day of atonement and presumably the most sacred day for the Jewish people.

Here on campus we Jews made an effort to mention them both, the first with a feast and the second with a fast (alliteration, huh). This time of the year back in Israel is the most special, festive and exciting time of the year (to some, I guess). Although we (as secular, modern Jews) do not really abide to the traditional Jewish calendar and tradition anymore, some unique and significant feeling is attached to this time, apart from the massive amount of days-off-school we get so early in the year.

I had a lot of time to think during Yom Kippur, as I wasn’t really doing anything but slobbing around (and being a bit more grumpy than usual – damn, appreciate food consumption). I realized I do not really follow any traditional way of mentioning Yom Kippur. I used electricity, read a book and watched a movie, overslept and generally had a pretty alright time. We even cut down the fast a bit short (and didn’t really stress on correct starting time either) due to practical reasons. In short, I think we concluded that it was more about mentioning the day itself and the idea rather than practicing religion. In fact, I realized I don’t really know much about Judaism as a religion, but more as a tradition and system of values. But wait, I don’t really know much about that either. Most of my knowledge of Jewish characteristics comes from a secularist point of view. Even the mandatory Torah classes back home were more of a literary and thematic analysis of the texts.

So what makes me Jewish? Why do I see myself so predominantly Jewish? Why does Yom Kippur such a special occasion for me?

I don’t really know. I think my Jewish identity has to do a lot more to the Zionist ethos and the land of Israel. That is why I find it hard to empathize with Jews that live in the Diaspora. I don’t see much in common between me and them. Whereas their identity is primarily religious, for they don’t live in a Jewish society and must preserve their identity by some extent of practice, my identity is derived from my surroundings and from the society I was up brought in.

Coming back to Yom Kippur, I find great wisdom in the principle that leads this day. First required is the forgiveness of your fellow human beings. Only after this is granted, the forgiveness of God can be pledged. I tend to ignore the second part of this argument, and focus on the first one, which invokes a caring and respectful social order.

I do observe, however, that this has been turned into a kind of mockery, prevalently by the youngsters. I recall a Yom Kippur in 7th or 8th grade, when one of the boys in my class wrote “I am sorry, for whatever I did to you” on a piece of paper, and ran around showing his brilliancy to as many people as possible. This could have a fairly profound value of regret, if he hadn’t had such lousy motives. This was not an act of reflection, as this concept is meant to provoke, but of pure stupidity.

I wonder how much of the ancient, great and deep wisdom of the Jewish tradition we are still capable to uphold these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment